Monday, August 3, 2009

Last two weeks!!

Wow! It has been while, and I failed to realize how time is flying by!!
Since my last post, I've been doing a lot of work in the office, and only one other event has happened. I was suppose to go to Eli's Cheesecake on July 26th but it turns out there was not any need for my help, so Amy, the Program Services Coordinator went herself.
Last week, Wed around 12:30pm we got a call from a french woman (not kidding) who wanted to offer us 100 tickets to a horse show called Cavalia for THAT evening! Quickly, my day changed gears and I was instructed to send out an email to all the families with email addresses to invite them to the event. For the next three and a half hours, I received emails and phone calls from excited parents who wanted to attend. We filled up the 100 spots easily and the other three interns attended that night. The next day, the same thing happened, except we filled 44 spots and I got to go with the Executive Director. If you don't know about Cavalia you can check it out: www.cavalia.net It consists of horses trained to follow instructions from talented acrobats. It's slightly hard to explain but it is quite awe-inspiring and I really enjoyed going with the Starlight kids and their families.

That is the day in a life of a Starlight staff-- one day you expect to do one thing but within a few hours (or minutes, depending on the day) you are asked to do something completely out of the ordinary or unexpected. I like to be on my toes, so this experience has been good for me.

Let's see... office work still is part of the internship and I do that daily. Outside the office, I've been to a few more places. Kendra, my sister, visited a few weekends ago and we went to the Shedd Aquarium (pictures on facebook), ate at the famous Giordano's pizza, walked through Millenium and Grant park, and went to Navy Pier. All before hopping on a train to Michigan. The cool thing about the certain Amtrak train was that two of my friends, Emily and Tyler, were also on that exact train from Montana so I got to sit with Emily and catch up on our lives. :-D More adventures are bound to happen soon enough. This Saturday night I am taking 25 or so Starlight kids and their families to a Kane County Cougars minor league baseball game! I am excited to do it because I organized it all and it's been a great learning experience!

Next week I finish up my internship on Wednesday, I can hardly believe it! From there, I will be heading back to MI and hoping for the best in the job market. I have a few resumes out there, I just have to keep praying and let God do the rest. As you think of it, if you could include me in your prayers, I would appreciate it!

Even though, I haven't been to all these places yet, here are some suggested places to check out: -Shedd Aquarium, -Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower), -John Hancock Center, -Lincoln Park Zoo (It's FREE!!), -Millenium Park (especially in the summer), -Grant Park (where Buckingham Fountain is located), -Any museum!, -Sporting events (Bears-football, Cubs-baseball, White Sox- baseball, Red Stars-soccer, Fire-soccer, Sky-baseketball...) -Chicago Symphony Orchestra, -Navy Pier, -SHOPPING :-D

I plan to continue my updates, even as I move away from Chicago and start other adventures in my life. I hope you are still interested in keeping up with my life... Let me know what's going on in your life too! I am interested to hear!!

Until the next time I remember to write...

No comments:

Post a Comment