Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer Internship in CHICAGO!

Hey All!!
Here is the first of many (hopefully) blogs that will keep you updated.
Hope you are able to visit weekly, at least, and see what I am seeing and experiencing some of what I am through my words.

I have been here in Chicago nearly four weeks, but it hardly seems like it. I travelled to and moved in to Chicago on Monday May 11 with the help of my amazing manfriend, James! Wednesday May 13 was my first official day at Starlight Children's Foundation, where I am doing my internship. I learned very quickly how VERY big Chicago is and how VERY small I am in this city. I know very few people here but by phone, email, AIM, facebook and some visits, I have been able to connect with friends and family back home.

Starlight Children's Foundation helps seriously ill children and their families cope with their pain, fear and isolation through entertainment,education and family activities. www.starlight-midwest.org
There are many events planned monthly and resources sent to children both in the hospital and those who are able to live at home in between treatments. It's been a great experience so far and the women there (yes, all women) have been a great at teaching me the ropes and guiding me through the orientation of not only Starlight, but also Chicago.

I am currently working 40 hours a week Monday through Friday and working on papers and goals outside of work additionally. I am living with a wonderful woman, Brenna, who is a Lutheran deaconess at the church behind her house. She has an adorable three year old, Naomi who has captured my heart and keeps me busy with her stories and playing. We bonded the first official day I was here at the grocery store and we are pratically inseparable! :)
There is also a friendly labordoodle pup (well not so much now) named Moxley. He is a handful but very playful and funny, to say the least. I get along well with them all and am finding that having a "safe haven" from the looming Chicago streets is very helpful! When I am around on the weekends, I attend church with Brenna and Naomi and like to spend Sundays at the "beach" a couple streets down. It's a nice area and though there are still hesitancies, I am getting along fine.

I've already travelled to Michigan once for a funeral and I expect to return the weekend of June 13-15 for a graduation party in Flint and the following weekend June 19-21 for Father's Day in the Blissfield area. I've learned the ropes of taking the Amtrak and my next adventure is to take the megabus sometime. haha! :)

Well, this ought to keep you busy reading for a few minutes, at least. More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Cool blog, Katie! I look forward to hearing about life! I love you!

    ReplyDelete